Miletus Didim is connected to Miletus,12 km away, by the Sacred Way, full of statues. Thales, one of the seven sages of ancient times, Anaksimandros, who created the first map of the world , Hekaitos, a philosopher and historian, Hypodamos, a city planner and an architect, all lived in Miletus. It turned into a metropolis among the Ionian cities and gained its autonomy as a result of special interest of the Roman Emperors in 38 BC. Although it was a harbour city like Ephesos during its establishment period, it is 10 km from the coastline as a result of the deposition of sediments of the Büyük Menderes River. It is well-known for its well-organised grid plan. The most remarkable sturcutures İn Miletos are the Theatre ,dating back to Roman Era with a seating capacity of 15000, the Roman Baths, built in the 1st century AD, Delphinon, a religious centre, the North Agora, Ionian Stoa, dating back to the 2nd century AD, the Capito Baths, the Gymnasium, Bouleterion, built in the 2nd century AD, the South Agora, measuring 164m x 196m, the Faustine Bath, built in the 2nd century AD. The archaeological remains found as a result of the excavations of the Temple of Apollo and Miletus are exhibited in the Museum of Miletos and its garden. However, some archaeological remains found during the excavations of Miletos are exhibited in different cities of the world. The first excavations in Miletos were started in 1899 by Th. Wiegand and continued until 1938 except during the First World War. The excavations, resumed after the Second World War, have been still carried out by the experts from the German Archaeological Institute.